About Me

Mendenhall, Mississippi, United States
Thomas Ray Floyd was born in 1953 in Simpson County, Mississippi, the son of Roy Thomas Floyd and Lina Sue Shows Floyd. Thomas Ray's mother was a member of a Primitive Baptist church, and he cut his teeth on the doctrines of distinguishing grace. Floyd has pastored churches in Mississippi, Louisiana, and Tennessee and until recently was pastor of a church plant known as "Particular Baptist Fellowship." He and his wife Brenda presently attend Zion Baptist Church at Polkville, Mississippi, pastored by Elder Glen Hopkins. The pulpit ministry of Zion Baptist Church can be heard at Sermonaudio.com.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Count the Cost

(Article for publication week of 1-23- AD 2013)

“So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple” (Luke 14:33).

Our Lord’s evangelistic methods were far different from most churches and preachers today. Rather than rushing folks into “making a decision”, our Lord frankly told men to “count the cost” before becoming His follower. (The reader is invited and encouraged to read Luke 14: 15-33.)

One of the paradoxes of Christianity is that salvation is absolutely free, but it costs you everything. Christ has paid the full price of redemption for every one who would ever believe in Him, but all those who believe in Christ have to be willing to part with everything. It doesn’t cost you anything to be saved, but if you will be saved then you must forsake the whole world, including family (see verse 26 preceding).

Our Lord said plainly in Matthew 10:34-36, “think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a man’s foes shall be they of his own house.” This is the hard truth of the matter, if you become a Christian, it will likely put you at odds with some you love most. Getting saved is a heart-rending matter.

The truth is dear reader, if you will be saved, you will become very unpopular. It is a lie out of hell that you can be a Christian and enjoy the smiles of the world. The scriptures plainly say in I John 2:15, “if any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.” You cannot be a friend of God, and a friend of the world at the same time (James 4:4). If you are interested in winning a popularity contest, then don’t become a Christian. If you love the smiles of the world, then go on to hell, and don’t pretend to be a Christian.

I earnestly desire the salvation of your soul. I come to this computer every week, and labour for your eternal good. I preach the gospel every week in the church. I travel to distant churches to labour for the salvation of sinners. I preach the gospel to friends and family in funerals like I did in Oklahoma last week. I put my sermons on cd and on the internet to send to the whole world. I give away loads of tracts, pamphlets and books. I talk to everyone who will listen to tell them of the freeness of God’s grace and the glorious way He saves. I warn all who will listen of the wrath to come. I preach the gospel to every rational creature I can hem up for five minutes. I point all men to the Lamb of God who taketh away the sins of the world, and try to make the way of salvation as clear as possible and remove every stumbling stone which hinders men from free salvation. But at the same time I must be truthful with you as my Lord was. Don’t set out to follow Christ until you have counted the cost. Better to never walk in the way than to start out and give it up. It is better to never know the truth than to know it and forsake it. It is better to never profess Christ, than to renounce Him later. Count the cost, for it is very high.

But finally I say to you, count the cost, but come to Christ at all cost! Yes, Christianity is a costly enterprise. It will cost you your friends, family, wealth, prestige and popularity; yea it will cost you everything. But the cost of not becoming a Christian is infinitely and eternally higher! The cost of not becoming a Christian is a Christ-less eternity. The cost of not being saved is to spend eternity shut up in the lake of fire! So dear reader, count the cost, but come to Christ at all cost right now for the eternal salvation of your never dying soul. If you want to know more call me today at 601-927-5070 or come to my house at 278 Good Hope Road, and I will tell you how to be saved. May the Lord spare you before it is too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment